Monday, February 27, 2006

iRaq

written by B.DOW


Q
ue fue, revolucionarios? That's right, y'all...I just wanted to drop by right quick and post a piece of media that should grab your attention. As some of you may have seen, iPod recently released their "Eminem iPod TV Ad," which drew heavily on the artist's 8-mile soundtrack single, "Lose Yourself." Apple has since then pulled the commercial due to not receiving permission for use of the song ( i.e. Eminem's publishing company has filed a suit for copyrightment infringement). Nonetheless, the ad was so popular that it presented a perfect opportunity for some true guerrilla work...


"The Eminem/Iraq Mash-Up"

Yes, as we approach the 3rd anniversary of our entry into Iraq, let us not forget the incalculable humanitarian cost of this war. More importantly, let us not treat the Iraqi War as somehow past its most intense stage; today, more Americans and Iraqi civilians are dying than at any other point since our invasion in March of 2003. The insurgency is stronger than ever, and the goal of a secure Iraq becomes increasingly faint. Yes, we are standing at the brink of an all-out civil war, which no matter how you view it, was ignited (but not started) through our actions. As us young people come to grips with how we want to approach the world we live in, we must not forget that the biggest threat to ourselves is not global terrorism, weapons of mass destruction, or Arab-owned port companies, but rather, our own distraction. The powerful words of Dr. Paul Farmer come to mind:

How do we, as the lingo would have it, "process" such abominable contiguity? Our best hope, it sometimes, seems, is oblivion. Let the world's endless jeremiad be blotted out by action films and other entertainments, sport-utility vehicles, high irony, identity politics that erase the world's poor, or struggles for personal advancement within this or that institution. Choose your poision; choose your anesthesia. Help yourself. Soon we will all be too old for justice, anyway.


On this anniversary of Iraq, let us all not neglect our inherent "spirituality of resistance," that resistance which fights against our own tendency to forget the world we live in, whereby the "world" is synonymous with the "I." Don't get me wrong...I'm guilty, too. I turn my back away, I throw my hands up out of mere complexity, and say, "Is there anything I can really do to change this?" But we all need to fight this urge, together. So, today...I ask you to take a moment with me, and seriously consider the effects of the war with the following piece, "The Eminem/Iraq Mash-Up."




B.Libertad

Original Eminem iPod TV Ad

6 comments:

Cameron said...

Get 'em B.Dow....

Cameron said...

yo, this xenophobic DP world b.s. is a crock... without digging too deep you can find that the ceo of DP world is an american and that the coast guard, homeland security, etc. will still be in charge of securing the ports. Just a bunch of wild congressman and senators trying to get the vote...and can we take a moment to bash apple...masquerading as the hip, cool, alternative to Microsoft etc... they suck, their products break, their customer service is horrible and eminem is in their commericials, I guess if a white rapper could sell in the burbs so can a white ipod...aite I"m out

c-ron

Anonymous said...

Cameron loves little boys.

Cameron said...

FO SHO

Anonymous said...

Now don't be talkin' smack about Apple. Though their marketing scam that they are a grassroots, hip, progressive company is of course untrue--they are just as capitalistic as the next--the fact remains that their products are totally better than Microsoft's. Their OS runs better, is more intuitive, easier to use, and lasts longer, plus it has fancy names like Tiger (roar!) I know that you are bitter about your iPod breaking after only a few years, but if it makes you feel and better, a "Dell-pod" would have broken after only a few months. I am not saying that I agree with using Eminem in their commercials--even the Genome doesn't support Eminem. It is laughable that that iTunes goes through so much trouble to make sure that their downloaded music is unpiratable, and then Stevie hypocritically goes ahead and infringes on copyrights. So when I choose Apple, I am not claiming morality. I don't even think I am choosing the lesser of two evils. I am simply choosing the BETTER of two evils.

Cameron said...

Coo...yeah. I'm pretty much bitter about my ipod...but something you didn't touch on was their customer service, which I am the most upset about. I agree that they make some nice products, but how about a little customer service to back it up?